Preventative Maintenance Technician (Orvis Rod Shop)Manchester, VT
The Preventative Maintenance Technician is responsible for the maintenance of all Rod Shop machinery and the fabrication of new fixtures.
About the Rod Shop:
For all of us at Orvis, the words "Made in America" mean an unwavering promise of quality, backed by over 160 years of innovation, passion, and pride. Nowhere is that on display more prominently than in our Manchester, Vermont Rod Shop, where our fly rods are conceived, constructed, tested, and ultimately perfected. From the state-of-the-art graphite technology to the time-tested Tonkin-cane construction of our bamboo series, each step in the process involves hard-working men and women and a powerful connection not only to our history, but to each and every rod we build.
Free daily tours are available Monday-Friday at 10:30am if you want to see our production in process.
About the Company
In 1856, Charles F. Orvis founded The Orvis Company in Manchester, offering superior fly-fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, Orvis is the trusted source of discovery and adventure in the natural world. For well over a century, we have loved the wild, explored it, and protected it. We are inspired by nature, driven by curiosity, and fulfilled by adventure. We are proud to own, use, and share our products. Each product and the services we offer are backed by superior customer service and a 100% guarantee of satisfaction.
Our Commitment to You:
- We support a healthy work/life balance. There are no evening or night shifts and no mandatory weekends.
- We have a comprehensive employee benefits package that includes paid holidays, three weeks paid-time-off, medical, vision and dental coverage, an employer-matched 401(k) savings plan, and merchandise discounts at Orvis and other outdoor retailers.
- We reward productivity with quarterly incentive bonuses and annual pay increases.
- We pride ourselves in maintaining a clean, safe, and friendly work environment for all of our associates.
This position reports directly to the Rod Shop Plant Manager and will interact with other Rod Shop supervisors and associates.
- Be an ambassador of the Brand and embody the Orvis Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Culture
- Maintain machinery up-time by:
- Ensuring optimum equipment operation and efficiency
- Develop and maintain preventative maintenance best practices for all shop equipment
- Complete preventive maintenance requirements on all mechanical equipment following diagrams, operations manuals, and manufacturers’ instructions
- Teach Rod Shop associates about routine preventive maintenance techniques and monitor compliance
- Maintain/Organize critical spare parts inventory, order needed parts, and source maintenance parts
- Provide emergency unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and off-hours
- Improve current fixtures and/or design, build, and machine new/test fixtures to support plant operations
- Maintain detailed job task documentation, reports, and records
- Execute facilities projects as needed
- Maintain a clean, organized workshop that is clean and free of debris
- Comply with all PPE, OSHA Safety and Health requirements
- Provide support as required by performing other duties as requested
- High School diploma and a minimum of three years’ experience in a mechanical trade. – Technical Certification is a plus
- Diagnostic Skills – Analyze machines and perform required repairs as needed
- Experience with various precision gages, measuring tools, and dial calipers
- Experience with drills, saws, lathes, metal cutters, welding machines, and grinding machines
- Knowledge of fabricating techniques with the ability to build/fabricate fixtures
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Physical strength to lift and move up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work and think independently with minimum supervision
- Motivation to be up to date with innovative skills and techniques
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as effective interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills