Men’s Product Development Assistant – Logo & AccessoriesSunderland, VT
We are seeking a Men’s Product Development Assistant focused on Logo & Accessories to join the Orvis Team! This is a hybrid role with an expectation of 2-3 days in person at our Orvis corporate office in Sunderland, VT.
As a Product Development Assistant at Orvis, you will play an important role in supporting our apparel transformation. You will be vital in helping to drive the flawless execution of our Men’s log and accessories product, celebrating our authenticity and heritage, and inspiring our team and our customers with unique, high quality, elevated products.
For more than 165 years the Orvis name has stood for outdoor traditions, quality, and customer satisfaction. At Orvis, we do not sell what we, ourselves, would not be proud to own or give as a gift. Our associates deserve to be proud of our service and our products, and we rely on every associate to apply our “pride of ownership” credo to drive our quality. “Good enough” is not our standard. We need to strive for perfection in our products and customer service, to propel our growth and the pride that will fuel our team.
This position reports to our Senior Manager of Men’s Product Development. This role partners very closely with our Merchandising, Design Technical Design and Sourcing teams.
- Develop logo graphic and accessories products that will delight and inspire our customers.
- Support/assist the Product Development Team as needed in order to develop products that will delight and inspire our customers.
- Help Product Development Team prepare for presentations, take detailed notes, make copies of materials for meeting attendees and help organize samples.
- Be a culture-positive member of a customer-obsessed Product Development team.
- Support a culture of partnership, communication, and collaboration with our cross functional teams including Merchandising, Design, Technical Design, Planning and Sourcing.
- Create relationships across our categories in Fish, Hunt and Dog to ensure we deliver a One Orvis experience for our customers.
- Responsible for managing end- to- end sample development process and calendar timeline related to fabric R&D, proto creation, and readying styles for commercialization and bulk production.
- Own daily communication with factories on all proto sample development, submit development, and pre-production samples.
- Partner closely with Design, Technical Design and Sourcing Team on pre-costing process at proto stage to ensure accurate cost estimates are achievable and meet and/or exceed target cost.
- Work closely with Tech Design and Sourcing teams to align on vendor allocation strategy for each style
Competencies and Requirements:
- Degree in apparel design or related experience in Product Development/Production.
- 1+ years of Product Development experience and an eagerness to help to create a positive, supportive and inspiring work environment for both Product Development and cross functional partners.
- Passion for outdoor activities and an understanding of the outdoor industry, its trends and customer preferences
- Learning the skills necessary to understand a Merchandising-led assortment strategy and develop products that deliver against the specific strategy that has been articulated. Strong and supportive communication skills to debate and commit with Merchant partners.
- Developing cost estimating skills inclusive of baseline inputs: converting fabric cuttable width, CM, sundries, wash/finish, artwork, understand relationship between like for like style, COO, duties and freight
- Learning the skills necessary to develop product to hit costing goals, and partner with Design team to adjust product details to hit goals, when necessary, without compromising quality or design aesthetic.
- Some experience in delivering consistent fit across various fabrics and styles, 1+ years of partnering with Technical Design team and factory partners to execute fit intent. Ability to partner and give feedback to Technical Design partners as needed in order to deliver consistent fit to customers.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate across department and partner in problem solving.
- Strong organizational, prioritization and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Technical knowledge of screen printing and applying graphic AW to logo products a plus.
Orvis Company associates take pride in our world-class service and products, treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect. We work in a supportive, team-oriented environment, focusing on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding our customers’ expectations – both internal and external. The Orvis Company and our associates are committed to giving back to our communities and protecting nature.
In 1856, Charles Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering the finest fly fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, along with our world famous fly-fishing gear, Orvis offers distinctive clothing, home furnishings, gifts, and dog products. Each item is rooted in our heritage of authenticity and the outdoors, and is backed with a no-questions-asked guarantee. As the longest-running mail order business in the United States, and with our flagship retail store located in the same Vermont village as the original store since 1856, we offer experience and knowledge that no other retail company can. Each day we strive to apply what we know and learn to bring our customers even better service and products tomorrow.
Orvis is headquartered in beautiful Southwestern Vermont with major operations in Roanoke, Virginia and the U.K. We firmly believe that the only way for Orvis to achieve its vision to be the most respected lifestyle brand in America, is to have a company culture that is supportive and inspiring to the individuals that will get us there.
Orvis offers competitive compensation commensurate with scope of responsibilities and experience required; plus a comprehensive benefits package including medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, 401K, generous associate discounts, and other excellent benefits.
To access our California Applicant Privacy Notice, follow this link: https://www.orvis.com/california-applicant-notice.html