Director of Merchandise Planning – Women’s
We are seeking a Women’s Director of Merchandise Planning to join the Orvis Team! This is a remote role with an expectation of 1 trip to Southern Vermont per year for connection with the team and brand.
As Women’s Planning Director you will be responsible for leadership of our Women’s Planning Team as well as a strategic leader for our Planning organization. You will be a key cross-functional team-member with Merchandising, Product Development, Sourcing, Finance, and Marketing together in service of our product strategy. You will be vital to keeping our customer at the center of all decisions, ensuring that we have the right product in the right place at the right time to fulfill their wants and needs.
We firmly believe that the only way for Orvis to achieve its vision is to have a company culture that is supportive and inspires the individuals who will get us there. Our associates take pride in our world-class service and products, treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect. We work in a supportive, team-oriented environment, focusing on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding our customers’ expectations.
The Orvis Company and our associates are committed to giving back to our communities and protecting nature. We invite and inspire associates to connect with the adventure and wonder of the outdoor world. Come join us in a life outdoors. We believe the most meaningful experiences are created by sharing the love of nature and being inspired by its endless possibilities.
This position reports to our Vice President of Merchandise Planning. This role partners very closely with our Merchandising, Product Development, Sourcing, Finance, and Marketing teams. Direct Reports include Category Planner, Item Planners, Allocation Analyst, and Production Specialist.
- Sales & Profit
- Inventory Productivity, Turn and Cash Flow
- Service Level & Forward Weeks of Supply (FWOS)
Merchandise Planning Purpose: Right Product Investment, Right Place, Right Time
- Orvis Plan leaders & drivers, in partnership with Merchandising, Sourcing and Marketing
- Data driven, confidence inspiring, high credibility leadership of Planning function
- Offense - getting great products in the hands of our customers, driving Company success, generating cash and ROIC
PLANNING, ANALYSIS & REPORTING (70%)
- Exemplify a culture of partnership, communication, and collaboration with our cross functional teams including Merchandising, Product Development, Sourcing, Finance, and Marketing. Partner with these functions, always leading with and sharing data as the guide.
- Support a customer-obsessed Planning team culture.
- Create relationships across our categories in Men’s, Fish, Hunt and Dog to ensure we deliver a One Orvis experience for our customers.
- Support development of seasonal and annual assortment strategies, influenced by hindsight data and current trends.
- Partner with Merchandising on hindsights and in-season performance analysis to set depth vs. breadth targets, size investment opportunities, newness flow data, and pre-season targets based on finance objectives and opportunity analysis.
- Partner with Merchandising and Marketing teams to ensure target Maintained Margin is achieved.
- Develop, analyze, and revise sales, profit, and inventory plans
- Ensure item plans developed meet category/subcategory financial targets and strategy
- Recommend seasonal merchandise flow strategies that maximize sales, profit, and customer experience
- Present data-based analysis in weekly business meetings and/or monthly planning meetings
- Adhere to seasonal planning and commercialization calendar dates and deliverables.
- Has significant influence on department/functional area - mastery and ownership of Women’s business, with key partners expressing confidence in leadership.
- Can perform as strategic leader and technical expert.
- Provides leadership with input about department strategy, organizational goals, and current policies.
- Decision making and impact: can make independent decisions related to design & implementation of strategy as well as for operational processes and procedures.
- Regularly drive innovation across areas of responsibility and identifies opportunities to initiate potential change.
- Works with broad objectives to solve complex problems for multiple functional areas/disciplines.
- Complexity and judgment: works on complex matters requiring advanced knowledge of department objectives and in-depth knowledge of the industry.
- Strong numerical and mathematical skills, with the ability to synthesize data and chart an appropriate action plan.
- Experience in building data driven assortment strategy in partnership with Merchandising.
- Experience driving investment strategy in partnership with Merchandising, and a proven record of hitting sales growth and profit targets.
- Strong & supportive written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate across departments and partner in problem solving.
- Strong organizational, prioritization and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Commitment to exceeding internal and external customer expectations.
- BA/BS degree in business-related field and/or relevant omni channel Merchandise Planning work experience
- 10+ years of Merchandise Planning experience with a proven track record of helping to create a positive, supportive, and inspiring work environment for both Planning and cross functional partners.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Merchandise Planning systems - Oracle RPAS a strong plus
- Passion for outdoor activities, and an understanding and respect for the Orvis brand and heritage, including our key sports of Fly Fishing and Wing Shooting.
In 1856, Charles Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering the finest fly fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, along with our world famous fly-fishing gear, Orvis offers distinctive clothing, home furnishings, gifts, and dog products. Each item is rooted in our heritage of authenticity and the outdoors, and is backed with a no-questions-asked guarantee. As the longest-running mail order business in the United States, and with our flagship retail store located in the same Vermont village as the original store since 1856, we offer experience and knowledge that no other retail company can. Each day we strive to apply what we know and learn to bring our customers even better service and products tomorrow.
Orvis is headquartered in beautiful Southwestern Vermont with major operations in Roanoke, Virginia and the U.K. We firmly believe that the only way for Orvis to achieve its vision to be the most respected lifestyle brand in America, is to have a company culture that is supportive and inspiring to the individuals that will get us there.
Orvis offers competitive compensation commensurate with scope of responsibilities and experience required; plus a comprehensive benefits package including medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, 401K, generous associate discounts, and other excellent benefits.
To access our California Applicant Privacy Notice, follow this link: https://www.orvis.com/california-applicant-notice.html